Friday, July 31, 2009

There is a guy at work, one of our subtenants actually, that always phrases his requests thusly: "Will you please kindly......." Fucking please kindly. That agitates me to no end. To make matters worse, the guy is a very mild-mannered Korean who speaks delicately, so the utter pretension of "please kindly" is even harder to pin down on him. Son of a bitch. It's not the aggressive type-A assholes that are hardest to deal with in offices, it's the calm ones who have the fortitude to keep up appearances.

My subway ride takes at least twice as long now that I live in Brooklyn. Also, I get on a busy line at the last stop in Brooklyn, so only about twice in the month I've been doing it have I gotten a seat.
Standing on a train is not so bad either in spurts or at irregular times, but every single morning is grating. So all the little subway etiquette annoyances are noticeable.
My absolute "favorite" subway pet peeve(1) is people not moving to the center of cars and jamming up the areas near the doors. This morning was a classic example of this: the car was very crowded right by the doors but empty over at the end. I was able to fight my way through and got to a roomy spot.(2) At the next stop a youngish Asian woman got on and replicated my path, taking a spot right behind me. What made it memorable is that this woman made a disgusted facial gesture while pushing through the assholes by the door. Watching this, I gave her a knowning smile followed by a shake of my head. She responded in kind. Thanks, lady, you made my morning.

I'm going to say here for the record how much I'm looking forward, not just to my wedding and honeymoon, but simply to having a chunk of time off from work. My work is not such that I actively dread coming in (sometimes I do but those times are relatively rare), but piling week and week on top of each other can burn out even the best of us. It's been almost a year since I've had anything more than a four-day weekend. Counting weekend days, I'll have 13 consecutive days away from the office.

Finally, a potentially unfortunate note on the weather. We are now inside the 10-day window so that weather.com has an actual forecast for the wedding day. As of now, they are predicting rain showers for both the day of and the day after (60% chance for each day), while the day before is sunny. There is a chance that the day-before sunniness proves to be the actual way the weekend shapes up (it's hard to tell this far ahead you know), but more likely the consecutive rainy days have more predictive power. I haven't said it to even Sara, but all along I've had a pretty strong feeling that the weather was not going to be good for this thing. And really, the weather is the only thing outside our control in the whole enterprise. More than that, it could be said without too much hyperbole--since we are getting married and having the reception outside on a beach--that the weather is single most important thing about the whole day.
I am a person who does pay attention to weather. My morning alarm is set to exactly coincide with the radio daily weather forecast. When I have an outdoor event coming up, I will check in online and hope the weather is nice. I did this twice recently for our canoe trip and then especially for my trip to Ohio. Both times there was this sense of holding my breath in hopes for good fortune. Well, you can take all the bated hopes I've had for any specific date to have good weather and the combined potential angst of all of them over most of my adult life might barely equal that which I feel for this one day, August 8th. And here it looks like it will be for shit. Nice. I know some of this may seem melodramatic. Maybe from your perspective it is. But you have to understand they way I approach my life. I'm happy to let the chips fall where they may for lots of occasions; I feel like it's a nice way to keep things interesting and spontaneous to not pin hopes on certain things sometimes. But most of the time, I try to organize myself so that every little thing that I can control is prepared for in the most positive way. So that then if something goes wrong, I'm never upset cause I know there is nothing I could do about it.(3) What I'm trying to say is that I don't ever ask for much from things I can't control, so it's kinda disheartening for it to (potentially) not go well this one time I do.
I'll try not to whine much next time. And maybe by then the forecast will have changed.

1. Narrowly outplacing these dickbag acts, from a longer list: barging into a car as soon as the doors open and not letting people out first, talking really loudly, and inexplicably standing up from a seat in the middle of a packed car while still at least half a stop away from his/her destination (you have the seat, so stay you ass in it and don't crowd up in my fact while I'm dangling from the bar above you, motherfucker. You lose the right to get a head start on the exit if you are seated while many others are not).
2. A corollary to this pet peeve is when the ignorant dicks who clog up the doors area have the fucking nerve to give me a dirty look or god forbid even say something when I bump them as I fight past. If I am ever to get into a physical fight with a stranger, this will be the cause.
3. A lot of this attitude comes from years of training for and competing in distance running. Running is a funny game in that the talent/effort dynamic can swing wildly from one side to the other. Meaning: some sports are dominated almost solely by the most talented (basketball) while some don't reward pure talent nearly as much (wrestling), bestowing success instead on the best combination of preparation, effort, and/or learned technique. Great runners come from both camps. Some are born and some are made. I was never quite good enough to know which category I belonged to, and so I always felt like if I did what I needed to do that everything would take care of itself, and even sometimes when I did everything perfectly, I could still get beat by better talent. Get your own shit in order and let the other guy worry about what might happen. No matter what anyone tells you, running is about the most individual sport there is.

No comments: