Friday, October 2, 2009

No Dress Codes Allowed

I'm probably treading into unwelcome waters now but fuck it. I'll keep it confidentially vague. I have access to Outlook calendars for several of the higher-level guys at my office (it helps me to know when they are around the office and therefore what needs they will have that I should look out for, not just for the voyeur/hackeryness of it). On the calender for a guy tonight is a personal dinner appointment where his secretary has written in "business casual attire." This notation about proper/expected clothing appears in most of his dinner engagements, and please remember that these are personal dinners, not business or client related.
What I'd like to say relating to this bit of knowledge is: I sincerely hope that at no point in my life--no matter how flukishly wealthy or important I may ever become--will I ever require someone to consistently inform me what the proper attire is for my personal dinner appointments. First, I hope never to have another person subjected to scheduling my dinner-dates with my wife. Second, I hope never to frequent establishments often enough that expect me to be specificly nicely dressed. And finally, I hope that, even if I find myself regularly in nicer places, I will not ever be worried about how my dress will compare to those around me.

No comments: